2002 Jul 19 16:17

Re: [vox] Slashdot lay-offs

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> I can only imagine what it's like to have studied for *eight years* to get an
> MS in CS, only to graduate into the current economy...

Oh, sure, it sux for us, but I'm not sure we're particularly worse off
compared to the rest of the tech sector.  Though my lack of real
experience does worry me, I do have a somewhat more unusual skill set
(computer security).  Whether this will be worth anything or whether it
just means I'm "overqualified" for programming jobs remains to be seen.

Looking back, though, I'm not sure what I'd have done differently.  Drop
out of school in '98?  I'd be laid off by now, with no bachelor's.  Get a
job after the bachelor's?  All my UCD friends who did that--without
exception--have been laid off (though one landed on his feet and is now
doing quite well).  At least I'm already in the degree pipeline.

--nicole twn

***
The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way
to factor large prime numbers."--Bill Gates, in _The Road Ahead_
Visit www.nicolopolis.com ... digital nonsense for a weary world.