2002 Jul 19 12:23

Re: [vox] Slashdot lay-offs

ME writes:
 > On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Someone Anonymously  wrote:
 > [chop]
 > >   http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/07/18/2257233&mode=thread&tid=161
 > [chop]
 > > (Note: Please do not quote the above paragraph unless you specify
 > > "X-No-Archive:" in your message headers - thanks)

LOL! I only meant not to quote the *immediately* above paragraph - no
need to elide the pertinent information, or quote me as "Anonymous"! :)

 > I have been looking for work elsewhere too. It seems gov. jobs are some of
 > the only ones that are "out there" and in California, without a budget,
 > they may not be very stable either.

Really? I think there are still many, many jobs out here, outside of
state jobs (I would never consider one - at least not for this line of
work). But the percentage of those jobs that correspond to ones I'd
prefer to have are lower. But, believe it or not: even with the
economy in the state it is, there is a collossal tech labor shortage
(always has been). A skilled engineer should have no trouble finding a
job - it's just that the playing field has changed: in the dot-com
days, you didn't need any skills to get a tech job (JavaScript coders
become Senior Engineers :) ).

 > I dont know of any businesses that are aggressively hiring. It seems to be
 > a market where "who you know" is much more important than "what you know".

Places like Craig's list are very helpful. Dice.com has never failed
me.

Get your resume on dice.com - about a hundred head-hunting sites will
snatch it up, and you'll get all the opportunity you need. If you
actually want to search out the job, though (and not just hope it
finds you), you should consider that many of the best jobs are simply
never advertized - but pick several large companies where you would
enjoy working, and scatter your resumes everywhere.

Incidentally, what is your skill set? If you know Perl/Python, you
should land a coding job for e-commerce sites fairly easily.

-Micah