2002 Jul 19 10:54

Re: [vox] Slashdot lay-offs

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Someone Anonymously  wrote:
[chop]
>   http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/07/18/2257233&mode=thread&tid=161
[chop]
> (Note: Please do not quote the above paragraph unless you specify
> "X-No-Archive:" in your message headers - thanks)

I have been looking for work elsewhere too. It seems gov. jobs are some of
the only ones that are "out there" and in California, without a budget,
they may not be very stable either.

Starting at the end of this month, state employees face the risk of being
paid:
1) Minimum wage or
2) Fake money that many banks won't honor or
3) Soe sort of real money
until the state passes a budget.

Then after the budget is passed, there s risk for last hired state
employees to lose their jobs when department/orgs have their budgets cut
for next FY.

I know the job market is tough right now. Another place that might be "ok"
 is the "State Franchise Tax Board" which wants to hire many programmers,
but has not completed the online test that is required to be completed
before people apply for the programmer positions. I have looked into this
and there is no way to get around this at present.

I dont know of any businesses that are aggressively hiring. It seems to be
a market where "who you know" is much more important than "what you know".

Sure, I get offers from places like SBC, and the like, but - yeech, they
are not my cup of tea.

-ME