2002 Jul 19 00:15

[vox] [OT]sending forms via mailto

zmcarrico@ucdavis.edu writes:

 > I've set up a form on my website that sends the entered content using a mailto:
 > because I have no access to a cgi bin.  The problem is that whenever the user
 > clicks "submit", a mail program pops up and the contents of the form aren't sent.
 > How do I get the contents to be sent without an email program popping up?
 >
 > Thanks to everybody who gave me the info on getting started w/ linux.  : )
 >
 > -Zac

There is no way to use a mailto: URL with CGI. The behavior of what
you're trying to do is undefined; you'll need to find another
solution.

Luckily, I believe there are sites which offer CGI services which
allow you to set up a form however you like, and set the action
attribute to their site, and they will mail the results to an address
of your choosing. You'll have to find them yourself, though :)

Micah