2002 Jul 18 17:12

Re: [vox] [OT]sending forms via mailto

I can't think of anything off the top of my own head, short of using a
wretchedly complicated and inefficient JavaScript application to append the
values of the form fields to the mailto: link (which I'm not even sure would
work anyway).  But that wouldn't stop the user from altering the data once
they've clicked "mailto:";, nor even changing your e-mail address to direct the
output somewhere else.  I foresee some security problems with that, but
security isn't necessarily my forte.  I'll leave that to someone else.

My solution is to dump your web hosting service and get one that lets you have
a real cgi-bin.

Hm, actually, you might check with your host to see if they offer some
"canned" scripts.  Heck, I think that even GeoCities will let you send form
information via a mail script.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 06:53:51AM -0700, zmcarrico@ucdavis.edu wrote:

> I've set up a form on my website that sends the entered content using a mailto:
> because I have no access to a cgi bin.  The problem is that whenever the user
> clicks "submit", a mail program pops up and the contents of the form aren't sent.
> How do I get the contents to be sent without an email program popping up?
>
> Thanks to everybody who gave me the info on getting started w/ linux.  : )
>
> -Zac

Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford

MSN:  underpope@hotmail.com