2002 Jul 17 23:44

Re: [vox] [zmcarrico@ucdavis.edu: shoud i get linux?]

Quoting Mark K. Kim (markslist@cbreak.org):

> When UCD chapter of IEEE was collecting resumes, I was told they wanted MS
> Word format because they are searchable using Word's fast find feature,
> and that's what everyone who buys the resume collection will be using.
> If that's the case, you're not gonna get anything out of sneaking in a
> RTF/HTML file (unless Word searches RTF/HTML).

Are you saying that MS-Word _has_ a problem with this?  If not, does it?
Or is this just fearmongering.  I'm curious.

The question's more or less academic, in any event, because _creating_
that rather awful binary format (MS-Word .doc) is no sweat.

> Besides, my resume was already in PS, PDF, and TXT and no easy way to
> convert it to DOC, RTF, or HTML (source was in LaTeX.)

Just in case you need 'em:

LaTeX2hyp will get it to RTF easily, and it should be trivial to get it
to MS-Word .doc .

http://www.w3.org/Tools/LaTeX2hyp.html

TeX-to-HTML....  Lots and lots of ways.
http://www.w3.org/Tools/Word_proc_filters.html

> Grrrrrrr...  This brings back some bad memories...

Sounds like it!

> If you submit a work in XLS format generated by an open-source program,
> and if your teacher can't read your file, and you explain there must be a
> bug in your open source program, I'm pretty sure the teacher's gonna
> remind you that you were supposed to use Excel!

Gnumeric happens to create reliable XLS files.  More reliable than
MS-Excel does, in fact.

The way it _actually_ works is that, if the hypothetical teacher says
his copy of MS-Excel can't read the file, we both commiserate about how
badly Microsoft Corporation sucks, and then I go home and mail him a
second copy, accompanied by a fallback version in another format such as
DIF.

> ...and you explain there must be a bug in your open source program...

Do tell me:  In the hypothetical case you've outlined, why the hell
would you do that?

rick@linuxmafia.com