2002 Jul 17 23:15

Re: [vox] [zmcarrico@ucdavis.edu: shoud i get linux?]

Thanks for your comments, Rusty.  Not meaning to jump on you, but just
in the name of accuracy:

Quoting Rusty Minden (clownsinc@attbi.com):

> 3	Distributions of linux are like asking for a holy war we all
> have opinions and some are well justified; others are well opinions :-)
> There are two leading types of distribution (this is a MAJOR
> SIMPLIFICATION) those that use RPM and those that use APT.

Um, no.  You're mixing categories.  rpm corresponds to dpkg.  apt
corresponds to urpmi, RHN, et al., and can invoke either rpm or dpkg
underneath it.

You meant to say "those that provide software packaged in .rpm format
and those that package it in .deb format."

Package-fetching tool:              apt suite, urpmi, RHN, etc.
Package-installation/removal tool:  dpkg, rpm
Package format:                     .deb, .rpm

Conectiva fetches .rpm-format packages using the apt suite and installs
them using rpm.  Linux-Mandrake fetches .rpm-format packages using uprmi
and installs them using rpm.  Debian and Libranet fetch .deb-format
packages using the apt suite and install them using dpkg.

> APT = Advanced Package Management (or something like that :-) it includes
> Debian, Libranet, Turbo Linux and a few others out there.

Turbo Linux uses .rpm packages installed using the rpm utility, and
(last I checked) had no automated software-fetching/dependency-resolving
tool.

rick@linuxmafia.com