2002 Jul 17 16:58

Re: [vox] OSCON in San Diego

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> joe, this information went from a senior editor's lips, to me and norman
> matloff, to you.   you read what we heard from a senior editor.

sad really.  I liked guys like Andy Oram and Stephen Spain (I wonder if
they are still there).

> at first, he didn't quite say this explicitly, but when pressed, he
> confessed that o'reilly is changing direction.  he also said that
> there's alot of people at o'reilly who are unhappy with this.

That does not surprise me...I don't think most of their staff is
'oriented' that way.

> apparently, it's common knowledge at the office.

bummer.

Well, there is always No Starch Press (I like the Linux Cookbook myself)
Those guys are swell (well, I may be biased in that I know some folks
there, but I still like their books...) and New Riders if you like typos
;)

> there were a number of books on various GNU tools that have been
> shelved in the past year.

too bad.  it must really come down to a numbers game (there are wayyyy
more wanna-be MCSEs then there are Unix admins or coders)...

Sad really..