2002 Jul 17 11:14

[vox] [zmcarrico@ucdavis.edu: shoud i get linux?]

please cc your replies to zac, since he's not on the list (yet).   :)

pete (needs to get to sleep...)

----- Forwarded message from zmcarrico@ucdavis.edu -----

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 02:37:54 -0700 (PDT)
To: root@lugod.org
Subject: shoud i get linux?
From: zmcarrico@ucdavis.edu

Hi,
I'm starting at ucd this fall and I need to get a computer.  I've never used linux before but I like the idea of a cheap operating system with
open source coding.  Do you recommend I get a labtop with windows and partition the drives so I can use linux or should I just get linux?
If just linux do they sell labtops with linux pre-installed or labtops without either windows or linux installed?  What version is best because
the only one I've heard of is Red Hat?  Rad site, i think I'll join lugod if I ever learn how to use linux.  Thanks for any intel you can give.
-Zac

Zac Carrico
5850 Kiev Pl.
Dulles, VA 20189-2010