2002 Jul 14 17:40

Re: [vox] Keepin' my box cool

Rick Moen writes:
 > Quoting Micah Cowan (micah@cowan.name):
 >
 > > Not sure what you mean. All my drives are IDE... of course the CDRW
 > > uses SCSI-over-IDE :) to do it's stuff...
 >
 > ATA hardware tends to make external enclosures impractical.  You lose.  ;->

Yeah - I'll probably need to put my focus on getting a bigger box with
more fan space.

 > > This is my home box - not serving anything off of it, etc.
 >
 > This seems to imply that only "servers" benefit substantially from SCSI.
 > I remember the concept of "servers" as a separate machine category.
 > That was before we had Unix, wasn't it?

Of course you're right. However, my chief distinction is, how
absolutely crucial is it that the box never have downtime/corrupted
data?

As long as I'm reasonably good about backing up data, buying SCSI
doesn't meet my cost/benefit needs. And it's not like IDE drives go
down after only a couple years or so...

Micah