2002 Jul 14 11:15

Re: [vox] Keepin' my box cool

I'm not trying to be the _can't we all get along_ guy here, but I don't
see why this is such a debate.

IDE:
1. comes built in to almost every motherboard so it's _free_ (or at
least very cheap)
2. drives are cheap, easy to find, and arguably (spelling?) very reliable
3. a no brainer to set up if you're not intimidated by a jumper

SCSI:
1. high speed, high performance, scalable, sometimes redundant, sometimes
hot-swappable, etc.
2. not so cheap, no so easy to find (at the local computer store), but
very cost-efficient in the long run - still though, mostly appropriate for
the technically elite
3. not so easy to set up (though not painful) for anybody whose not
intimidated by compatibility issues with board/device, terminals, etc.

Anyway, I think the question answers itself.  If you've got an open IDE
interface on the motherboard you're working with and you don't feel like
wasting it or spending a lot of extra cash, go IDE.  If you need or even
just want the benefits of scsi, and you have the time cash and knowledge,
go scsi.

I also agree with the comment made about drive space being more space than
you could pretend to use, which is why manus. don't bother making scsi
drives in 700GB sizes.  smart people spread critical data across mutliple
disk, multiple partitions (i.e. that is the point of raid).  I have a 40GB
IDE drive that just wastes space.  I don't do any video editing and I
don't download movies, so I have space for 7 years of mp3s and photos of
my digi-cam.

As far as heat goes, I can't say from personal experience whether IDE is
so much hotter than scsi.  I've currently got too many IDE drives stuffed
into an el-cheapo mini-tower box with an unaccectable power-supply and two
shitty fans.  Nothing's burnt up yet (famous last words).