2002 Jul 14 08:41

Re: [vox] Keepin' my box cool

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Jeff Newmiller (jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us):
>
> > I would say the "caricature" seems to be an accurate summary of the Rick
> > Moen Method of Discourse.
>
> Beaujolais!  And _thus_, in a wonderful theatrical flourish, you now
> come barrelling into the discussion -- to conduct outright, barefaced
> ad-hominems in the name of civility.

You are continuing to try to overwhelm my civility.  Look beyond your ego
once in awhile.

> > Just come out next time and say this and dispense with your attitude. This
> > price is far from the norm, even on this web site, so pretending we should
> > all know about some "July Special" because you do is obnoxious as hell.
>
> The irony, of course, is that Peter did a _lot_ better, just by checking
> pricewatch.com.

$/GB        IDE    SCSI
Rod       10.36    1.75 "current prices including scsi card cost"
Rick       1.75    1.75 "$200 buys the same size"
Peter      3.44    1.10 (pricewatch, seagate scsi and maxtor ide)
Rick       7.53    1.65 (dirtcheapharddrives: 36.9G Seagate SCSI and
                         120GB Maxtor IDE)
           8.85    1.65 (dirtcheapharddrives: comparable equipment to
                         Rod's quote)

Peter did find a lower price point than Rod, but I don't think Peter's
price quote reflects the same performance point as Rod's quote, and in no
case is your outlandish assertion that "$200 buys the same size" borne
out.

I agree that SCSI is better technically than IDE... but it doesn't come
cheap, and I don't use any of my old SCSI equipment these days, so the
reusability argument is a little weak.

> > You want polite?  Provide straightforward support for your statements.
>
> For _you_, the research fee will be at least $40, not $20.

I have no plans to waste my money on your rhetorical "fees", given the
available samples of your discussions.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing