2002 Jul 14 02:45

Re: [vox] minor rant about technically unsophisticated customers -was: d

Re: [vox] minor rant about technically unsophisticated customers -was: dSl MaDnEsS

Hello, Paul... My experiences do not lead to quite the same conclusions as
yours...

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Paul Barnhart wrote:

> I see this a little different than you do.
>
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> >dsl...
> >

> >"we ran some tests and couldn't find anything wrong with your dsl".
> >
> >"ok.  when were the tests done?"
> >
> >"this morning".
> >
> What he tested was the wiring from the magic box at your end (technically the terminal block on the outside of your house) to the magic box on pacbell's end. He probably tested it a computerized high tech version of a time domain reflectometer. This would tell him if the line could deliver pulses from one end to the other at the rate necessary to operate the magic boxes on both ends. Intermittent is not a common failure mode for telephone wiring.
>
> >"well, the problem is intermittent.  it works ok now.  why not test the
> >line when my dsl goes down again?"
> >
> >"that wouldn't tell us anything."
> >
> The only time he could see anything worth seeing would be the time frame
> from just before the system went down to just after it went down,
> probably just a few milliseconds. He wouldn't see it "go down", he would
> only see it when it "is down". Big difference

Your assumption that the interference only lasted a few milliseconds does
not agree with the types of audible interference I hear before my DSL
drops off.   The audible interference can last for several minutes or
several hours.  I have been working from the assumption that this audible
interference was simply a symptom of the modem and DSLAM trying
progressively harder to communicate through whatever interference was
occurring at the DSL frequencies.  Since the volume of the interference
varies over time, I think there may be something a tech could find if he
were looking at the right time.

> Maybe one of the boxes has embedded windows 98 in it.

Ha, ha. Or, rather, "gratuitous FUD".

> What I have, and may help your situation, is a DSL splitter. This is a
> gray plastic blob, mounted where the phone line comes into the house,
> that takes the incoming phone and splits it into plain old telephone
> service, connected to the existing wiring, and a new dsl wire which is
> routed to your toy room to connect directly to your magic box.

I don't know about Peter, but this is what I started out with. In my old
house it worked fine... in the new one, it didn't, but that turned out not
to be the splitter's fault.  I ended up replacing it with jack filters
because I had heard that the DSLAM outputs have to be reconfigured
depending on whether the endpoint is a splitter or mini-filters.  In my
case, switching made no difference, and I needed the wire for a fax line,
so I retained the mini-filters.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing