2002 Jul 14 01:18

Re: [vox] printer redux and dSl MaDnEsS

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Ryan wrote:

> On Saturday 13 July 2002 10:15 pm, Shwaine wrote:
> > Well, if they're an apartment dweller in Davis, show up very early
> > in January at Greystone and Lakeshore and pay mondo deposit fees
> > to get an apartment with shared T1 to every bedroom :)
>
> Does that come with a public IP? And I would think a bandwidth
hog could
> easily ruin that...

Public IP? Yep, everyone gets assigned a static, public IP. Check
my sig, there's free dynamic DNS provided :) There's also no firewalls
and the service contract does not forbid servers (at least this year's
service contract, hoping that doesn't change). Only thing the service
contract forbids is sharing the line between rooms, which makes sense
since they couldn't really support 3 T1s if every apartment only
paid for one connection.

As for bandwidth hogs, that was a problem when I tried to be cheap
and go with the cheapest service available. There were a couple of
hogs and then also just a ton of people trying to do normal stuff.
Greystone has 3 T1 lines and you get assigned a line based on what
you pay. The cheapest line ($20/mth) is also the most congested.
Now that I've decided to dish out for $40/mth service, I lucked out
and got assigned to the $80/$40 T1 that the complex's webserver also
sits on. I never have a bandwidth issue on it. Most lag is an upstream
provider router problem.

There's actually MRTG graphs off the main Greystone website (www.
greystoneapts.com) where you can see the aggregated line traffic
plus traffic for each individual IP. Makes it easy to find and report
the bandwidth hogs.

Shwaine the Wandering Arch of Malevolence
http://www.malevolence.com              http://www.shwaine.com
telnet://shwaine.dyn.greystoneapts.com:3000