2002 Jul 13 18:57

Re: [vox] Keepin' my box cool

Quoting Rod Roark (rod@sunsetsystems.com):

> Regarding "shopping lessons":  Here's wholesale pricing from
> one of my distributors:
>
>   ------------- SCSI --------------    -------------IDE -------------
>
>   2 IBM 36G U160 Drives:       $560    2 IBM 40G ATA100 Drives:  $140
>   Adaptec 19160 U160 Card:      222
>                                ====                              ====
>   Total                        $782                              $140
>
> This stuff is typical of what's in the sales channels right now.
> None of my clients ask for older SCSI drives, and you're not
> going to get U160 out of a $45 SCSI adapter.  I guess you can do
> better on ebay but that's not an option for me.

Gee, I'm sorry _you_ can't find reasonable-quality $165 *RETAIL*
current-production SCSI hard drives.  Try shopping lessons.

Unless you're having too much fun stacking decks.

And please remind me of why you need FAST80 (so-called "Ultra160")
without the ability to saturate half that.  Though I have to confess
I misread the on-line listings.  Should have been $71, not $45 (Tekram
DC-395UW).  If you want to be absolutely dead-certain of never being
able to saturate it (and thus are future-proofed -- see next paragraph),
it's $189 for a DC-390U3W.

I don't often look up prices of host adapters, because of course --
_still_ not being a complete idiot -- I make a point of favouring parts
that can be usefully recycled through multiple generations of machines.

> Regarding "bigger than you can fill": It's not hard for someone
> who likes to multi-boot a bunch of different operating systems
> to fill one of these up.

Yes, some people go through that phase.  And the pr0n, Farscape
episodes, and mp3s.  3Ware sells a lot of Escalades to the latter folk.

> Regarding "bigger than you can economically back up": One drive
> backs up the other.

After your shopping lessons, you're going to have to look up what
"backup" means.

> Regarding DOS: Eh?

Funny, you don't _look_ Canadian.

If you don't bother using multitasking, multithreading, and multiuser,
and thus can't see any performance advantage from properly designed I/O
buses, you might just be a DOS user.

rick@linuxmafia.com