2002 Jul 13 17:24

Re: [vox] Keepin' my box cool

Quoting Rod Roark (rod@sunsetsystems.com):

> The problem is, a typical desktop machine with two hard drives will
> cost about $600-800 more in a SCSI configuration than with IDE....

You need _shopping_ lessons, boy.

Hard drives these days come in basically one size, called "bigger than
you can fill, and bigger than you can economically back up".  Your
$200 buys the same size in either SCSI or ATA ("IDE"):  both "bigger
than (et al.)", with a greater amount of excess-more-than-I-can-use
space in the ATA case.

The Symbios-based Tecram card is $45.  Resulting total delta:  $45

Of course, you _might_ have the world's largest pr0n collection, or a
complete collection of Farscape DIVXes, or something like that.  In
which case, some n>1 of ATA drives on a 3Ware Escalade will indeed be
just the ticket (while you brood over your lack of backup).

> ...-- and for a performance benefit which will go unnoticed.

Spoken like a DOS user.  Yay, team!

rick@linuxmafia.com