2002 Jul 13 16:19

Re: [vox] Q: looking for combination device...

Re: [vox] Q: looking for combination device...

Quoting ME (dugan@passwall.com):

> I am looking for something that may not exist, but wanted to ask fellow
> list members if they know of one that comes close and/or where you
> consider a good online business to search.
>
> I recall combination "Fax" + "Copier" + "Printer" + "Scanner" + "Answering
> machine" all in one. The problem with the unit that I recalled, was they
> only had drivers for Windows 9X and the product was abut 8 years old.

At least some parts of that desired combination exist, but they tend
to be really terrible:  HP OfficeMate(?) scanner-printer combos, for
example.

I wish you luck, but think your quest is going to come up dry of
candidates for your complete wishlist of functionality irrespective of
operating system -- and suspect wanting decent Linux support for all
of that as well is a pipedream among pipedreams.

Why?  Market categories.  The manufacturers assume that anyone shopping
for a combo device is seeking to spend bottom dollar.  Therefore, the
combos tend to cut corners to the point of absurdity and beyond.  E.g.,
omitting necessary circuitry and providing substitute Win32 "engine"
software, in the time-honoured winmodem/winprinter fashion.

I'll be delighted to be proved wrong on this one, but will also be
very surprised, if that's the case.

rick@linuxmafia.com