2002 Jul 13 22:38

[vox] printer redux and dSl MaDnEsS

ok, i couldn't get the epson stylus color 600 to work well under linux.
the good news is that i couldn't get it to work under windows either.  i
was able to get linux to print to the printer, but the text is too light
and wavy to be of any use.  the same thing happens under the windows
side.

the difference is that i've been able to get windows to print using the
color cartridges.  i don't know how to do that under linux.

at first i thought it was a driver issue, but now i'm fairly sure the
black ink jet is clogged and needs to be serviced.

dsl...

"we ran some tests and couldn't find anything wrong with your dsl".

"ok.  when were the tests done?"

"this morning".

"well, the problem is intermittent.  it works ok now.  why not test the
line when my dsl goes down again?"

"that wouldn't tell us anything."

"what?"

"if there was anything wrong with your line, our tests would show it
immediately."

"if my dsl works perfectly right now, wouldn't you expect the test to
show nothing's wrong?"

"yes."

"when my dsl doesn't work, wouldn't you expect the test to show
something's wrong?"

"yes."

"then why not test my line when dsl goes down?"

"because our tests show there's nothing wrong with your line".

"what part of 'intermittent' don't you understand?"

"what part of 'there's nothing wrong with your dsl' don't YOU
understand?"

where do they GET these people?

pete