2002 Jul 12 11:24

Re: [vox] dsl redux

begin Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>
> ok, the tech came and of course the dsl woes are still a mystery.
>
> dsl was down when he came.  he measured the bandwidth and said that he
> read the bandwidth at 98% of maximum (no packets were being received by
> my router).

he also said something strange.  out of desperation, i asked "what
happens when you reach maximum bandwidth" expecting to hear "nothing.
it just won't push data any faster".  instead he said "the modem will
drop the connection".

i wasn't expecting to hear that at all (and i don't believe it).  but i
played along and asked "does that mean the line can drop if someone
flood pings you" and he said yes.

again, i don't believe this, but i figured i'd pass it along.

pete