2002 Jul 12 12:30

[vox] dsl redux

ok, the tech came and of course the dsl woes are still a mystery.

dsl was down when he came.  he measured the bandwidth and said that he
read the bandwidth at 98% of maximum (no packets were being received by
my router).

he recycled the modem and DSL came right back up.

he checked the wiring in the house, and everything here seems OK.  he
also tested for line grounding between my cable pair box and the dslam.
it looked good (this was when DSL was back up though).

he gave me a business card and i'm supposed to page him the next time it
goes down so he can run additional tests.

they'll prolly try installing a new modem at $160 (down from $199).
hopefully, i can return it for a full refund if it doesn't help matters.

if a new modem doesn't help, they'll check for a faulty "LT card".  an
LT card is a card you plug into a DSLAM which provides an interface
between teh DSLAM and the wire that eventually goes to the customer
premises.

lastly, he suggested that i put a filter on one of my phones that
previously didn't have a filter.  but of course that's not the
problem....

pete