2002 Jul 11 22:53

Re: [vox] peter will be out of the office...

Re: [vox] peter will be out of the office...

i had the alcatel at the other place (2 years ago).  they changed my
modem since "the alcatel modem wouldn't work at the new place".  a
westel, in fact.

i just found out that if i don't power cycle, DSL will eventually come
back.  it just takes a few hours.

the modem itself is a few inches from the ground, underneath the desk
that lucifer sits on.  the modem is about 2 or 3 feet underneath lucifer.
it's also about a foot and half away from mephisto, which sits on the
floor.  come to think of it, the modem is less than a foot away from the
mammoth-gargantuan power serialized power strips that i'm sure we all
have to power our multiple computers.   it's never hot to the touch.

i'm desperate enough to try anything, although i'm not sure moving it
will do anything.  it's been fine for the past 2 years.  maybe the modem
is just on the blink.  talking to jeff, i'm thinking the problem is more
pernicious than EM radiation, heat or a faulty modem.  but like i said,
i'm so desperate i'm willing to try anything.

the tech comes tomorrow between 8 and 12.  i'll keep everyone updated.

pete

begin Marianne Waage <mwaage@ucdavis.edu>