2002 Jul 11 15:15

Re: [vox] peter will be out of the office...

Re: [vox] peter will be out of the office...

I, too, have experienced this same issue (I have an Alcatel ADSL 1000). I
was told by the SBC technical support (after arguing about them not
supporting Linux ;-) ), that those DSL modems are very sensitive to heat
and electromagnetic radiation.

I used to have my modem sitting near my monitor, and it used to exhibit
the exact same symptoms that Pete describes below, even the staticy phone
line. Sometimes, I'd actually have to unplug the phone cord from the modem
and wiggle it around, then plug it back in, and it would clear up.

I had finally found a good place for it where it could run cool, and not
be near a EM source. Believe it or not, it sits on top of my mid-height
computer, which sits on the floor. I've not had that problem for a very
long time (knock on wood).

Pete, I kinda doubt that you're having line problems. I think it's your
modem--if you *were* having line problems, you'd undoubtely have a
flashing red light. Where is it placed in your room? Is it near a power
supply or monitor? Feel it when it spazes out--is it hot to the touch?
What model of modem do you have?

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, andy wergedal wrote:

> Pete,
>
> I live in Sac (near Arden Fair Mall) and I have been
> experiencing the same type of problems. Intermitten signal,
> no signal, slow.
>
> I have been remodelling the room where my servers sit. I
> thought that I had messed up myself. I checked the lines
> and had no problems.
>
> The worst part is after shutting down my servers (to change
> plugs and then to change back again) it took 6-8 hours for
> my connection to be restored. I have 5 static IP's with
> SBC/Pacbell, so dchp was not the problem. I do not know
> what caused the problem, but it sure is annoying.
>
> -- Andy
>
> --- Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> wrote:
> > dear all,
> >
> > i'm having some pacbell/sbc people come over to try to
> > diagnose a DSL
> > problem i've been having the past 3 weeks.
> >
> > a few times a day, DSL will just totally cut out, even
> > though the
> > power/sync/connect lights are all "green" on the DSL
> > modem.  the only
> > thing that fixes the problem is turning the modem off,
> > and then back on.
> > i don't even have to (what pacbell calls) "power cycle"
> > where you keep
> > the modem unplugged for a few minutes.  just a quick flip
> > off/on will
> > get DSL back working.
> >
> > another thing is that voice comm on the phone is wierd.
> > every so often,
> > i'll hear a strange static that lasts for about 2 or 3
> > seconds.  happens
> > periodically.  i hear something similar over the speakers
> > of my stereo
> > when it's on.
> >
> > i'm thinking the wiring here is seriously screwed up.
> > :/.
> >
> > the upshot is that next time it happens, i'm letting DSL
> > stay down
> > so that when the people come tomorrow they can maybe
> > detect some kind of
> > grounding problem.
> >
> > at some point today (prolly within the next 5-10 hours)
> > i'll become
> > unavailable via email until tomorrow, about noon time.
> >
> > if anyone needs to get in touch with me (bill, 4-H?)
> > please call.  if
> > you want to know if i can still receive email, you can
> > ping my address.
> > if it doesn't respond to icmp, you need to call.
> >
> > pete
> >
> > ps- i was already told by pac bell that they don't
> > support linux.  right
> > on que.  :)
> >
> > --
> > GPG Fingerprint: B9F1 6CF3 47C4 7CD8 D33E  70A9 A3B9 1945
> > 67EA 951D

R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people
   discipline themselves."

-- Thomas Jefferson