January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jul 11 11:03

Re: [vox] Re: Books on RT-Linux

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Andy Campbell wrote:

> Sorry about that winmail.dat...you probably don't get many people talking on
> this list who use Microsoft outlook, but I am one of them. I am just getting
> into Linux at the moment, and do not even have my own computer set up on it.
> I am working on some research in the mechanical engineering department that
> will use RT-Linux to provide high performance servo control.
>
> So I apologize about any weird winmail.dat files, but they are a by product
> of using outlook. Does anyone know of any books on RT Linux that may be
> published?? I can't seem to find any. Also, I know there are tons of books
> on Linux itself and writing POSIX threads, but are there any in particular
> that you all would recommend?

Not from firsthand experience.

> Any help is appreciated.

I am pretty sure there IS a book on Real Time Linux at Nerdbooks... I saw
it on the shelf a couple of weeks ago... it just didn't have RTLinux in
the title.

I have a couple of books on embedded linux... and while I think they are
pretty good books, they both have the weakness of not working straight
from source... they depend on pre-packaged elements to make the process
"easy" but may not continue to be available.  I suspect that
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ may be a valuable thing to play
with... and get familiar with the structure of kernel drivers.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing