2002 Jul 06 09:35

Re: [vox] [ot] Banners on Slashdot in Japanese!

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Micah Cowan wrote:

> It's probably not based on your IP, but on your browser's
> "Accept-Language" field; for instance, in Mozilla, under Preferences
> -> Navigator -> Languages, you may specify, in order iof preferences,
> the languages you'd prefer to receive web pages in. Servers such as
> Apache can be configured to respond appropriately to these
> preferences.

Actually I'm using my company laptop from United States configured to
prefer English only.  My desktop has Korean WindowsME installed (it's a
long story...) that I changed to prefer English over Korean.  So... no
reason to see Japanese anywhere.

So Slashdot's ad isn't all that bad.  What's been annoying me is that
going to www.google.com forwards me to www.google.co.jp (Japanese Google).
I'd set my Google language preference except I can't read the menu to set
the language preference.  I've been going to www.google.co.uk if I really
needed an English version of Google, but it's a horrible thing that I
can't just to go www.google.co.us or something similar.  This biases
against the US users, I think, since you can go directly to
www.google.co.jp from US if you wanted to, but not vice versa.  But it's
no biggie (Internet is biased FOR us quite a bit already anyway so others
got more to complain, I suppose.)

Oh, wait, I got an idea...

nope, that didn't work, but I got another idea...

ah, there you go.  All fixed.  I still end up at Google Japan, but now I
get English menu.  I went to UK site to figure out where the preference
button is, then went to Japan site, pressed preferences button, then set
the language to "<some japanese> (Pig Latin)", then switched over to
English afterwards.

Hew~ it helps to speak a little Pig Latin now and then, I guess... (albeit
slowly...)

-Mark :)

--
Mark K. Kim