2002 Jul 09 01:01

Re: [vox] WANTED: WordPerfect for linux.

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 11:28 pm, you wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 July 2002 10:35 pm, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> > You might also ask other people on this newsgroup whether they like the
> > WordPerfect 9 office suite.  I claim that the two greatest releases of
> > WordPerfect were 5.1 for DOS, and 8 for Linux.  WordPerfect 8 was a
> > native Linux program.  WordPerfect 9 runs on WINE, and I find it to be
> > irritatingly buggy.  I would not buy it if I had to do it over again,
> > though others here may recommend it.
>
> It's for my mom, she uses wordperfect for windows at work and doesn't want
> to learn a new office suite. I did see WerdPerfect 8 for linux for $3 (the
> download version I assume) on linuxcentral.com, do you think that would be
> worth getting?

Rod is right about the library compatibility problems for recent Linux
distros.  It doesn't work on Mandrake 8.1, but will work with RedHat 6.1 for
instance.  Rumor has it that there is a WordPerfect 8.1 that comes with Corel
Linux that has the more recent libraries.   Some people are downloading old
libraries to get 8.0  to work.  I seem to recall one person saying that the
old libraries seemed to have resulted in parts of his system running slower.
The people to ask about this are the people on the Corel newsgroup for
WordPerfect8 for Linux, since this is an issue that they discuss.

As much as I love WordPerfect (I use it for my business on Windows) I've
given up on it for Linux.  But then as many people are aware I'm the least
technically sophisticated person on this list.  I'm putting my hopes in GOBE.

Bob