2002 Jul 09 01:01

Re: [vox] WANTED: WordPerfect for linux.

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 11:28 pm, Ryan wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 July 2002 10:35 pm, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> > You might also ask other people on this newsgroup whether they like the
> > WordPerfect 9 office suite.  I claim that the two greatest releases of
> > WordPerfect were 5.1 for DOS, and 8 for Linux.  WordPerfect 8 was a
> > native Linux program.  WordPerfect 9 runs on WINE, and I find it to be
> > irritatingly buggy.  I would not buy it if I had to do it over again,
> > though others here may recommend it.
>
> It's for my mom, she uses wordperfect for windows at work and doesn't want
> to learn a new office suite. I did see WerdPerfect 8 for linux for $3 (the
> download version I assume) on linuxcentral.com, do you think that would be
> worth getting?

I think you'd have a lot of trouble trying to install it on
any recent distro.  I remember having library compatibility
problems with it several months ago.

OpenOffice/StarOffice is the most complete solution, especially
in terms of MS compatibility.  But be warned that its default
auto-correction and auto-formatting settings can be extremely
annoying and often look like bugs -- for example, my wife was
having a lot of trouble with double quotes showing up on the
screen as question marks, until I finally figured out that it
was a "feature" that could be turned off.

You might try Abiword first.  It's easier/faster than OO, and
appears to be able to open WP documents (doesn't look like OO
can do that, maybe someone knows otherwise?).

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/