2002 Jun 28 21:13

Re: [vox] [OT] question about citing authors

Re: [vox] [OT] question about citing authors

It depends on who you talk to.  They tweak the standard every year, and
different standards make things complicated.

I'm not the most proficient in this area, but I think you use "et al" only
if you have more than three authors.  Otherwise you only list the first
one in "lastname, firstname" format and the rest as "firstname lastname"
format.

BibTeX has an uncanny ability to reorder names, supposedly the "proper"
way.  I mean, whether I list names as "Firstname Lastname" or "Lastname,
Firstname", it knows which one is the firstname and lastname and order it
correctly.  Maybe entering some names into BibTeX and TeX-ing it will let
you know how it's supposed to be listed?  (Or I guess easier would be to
look it up on google, but that's just too easy.)

As a semi-interesting sidenote, I keep a binderful of handouts I got in
high school and college for just this kind of thing (footnote handouts,
bibliography handouts, grammar handouts, physics equations, math
equations, measurement conversions, etc.)  Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near
that binder right now :(

-Mark

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> i'm working on the lugod library database and have a few questions about
> citing authors.
>
> suppose i have a book 'Guerr Oyvaq Zvpr' written by Adam Haxtor.  i can
> cite the author as
>
>    Haxtor, Adam
>
> and that looks good.
>
> if it had been written by Adam Haxtor, Kitty Root and Jules Leet, how
> does one cite the authors?   this looks awkward to me:
>
>    Haxtor, Adam, Root, Kitty and Leet, Jules
>
> what's the best way to cite these 3 authors?
>
> also, if a book is written by Ned T. Ether Jr. i can cite the author as:
>
>    Ether Jr., Ned T.
>
> is that correct?
>
> pete
>
> --
> GPG Fingerprint: B9F1 6CF3 47C4 7CD8 D33E  70A9 A3B9 1945 67EA 951D

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.