2002 Jun 28 11:47

Re: [vox] Dealing with your boss

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> I attended a speech camp when I was in 4th grade because I was too shy.
> Maybe I'll go to another one.  Are there speech camps for adults?  (I'm
> half joking, but if you know of any it'd be interesting to learn about
> them.)

Toastmasters is one such organization. Not a camp :) but they focus on
improving speaking skills. I think the experimental college is offering a
class which includes workplace communication. If you're working for UCD,
SDPS offers a decent class, as well. I found it more useful than I feared
it would be. http://sdps.ucdavis.edu/browse/cm/cm0102.htm is the webpage
for it.

I should probably do that myself, actually.

As to the original question, I find that bouncing the problem off other
people helps. Sometimes they can see the other person's side and explain
it better (you may not be the only person lacking in communication).
Sometimes they tell me that the other person is nuts.

If possible, ask if the discussion can be continued later or if you can
email your response. If you're anything like me, you become less and less
able to explain yourself clearly if you feel pressured/upset. If you have
time, sitting down and writing it out might help you sort out your
thoughts. If you don't, even a short break can help. At the minimum, take
a few seconds to calm down and think a little before you say anything -
even if you already know what the answer is, it may help you answer in a
clearer manner.

Now, I just have to remember to do all this myself :)

Jessica