2002 Jun 27 20:06

Re: [vox] Dealing with your boss

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> A non-tech question but important for working techies...
>
> How do you guys deal with your bosses?  How do you deal with conflicts
> that arise from your differences (you being a techie and they being not,
> or maybe they *thinking* they are but they being not?)  Especially since
> not all technies are very good with words, explaining oneself can be very
> difficult.
>
> This question sounds very slash-dot-ish...  But I wanted to ask it here
> first.
>
> You know, a discussion like this maybe should be taken off the archive, or
> maybe posted anonymously on the archive.  Is there a way to turn off
> archiving or hiding poster names?

Simple.

Raise doubts / complaints / constructive criticism.

After discussion, do it exactly how they say.

If there is a problem down the road, point to your e-mail messages where
you stated going this route was going to be a problem or find a more
polite way of doing the same.

If they are wise, they will learn and respect your opinion in the future.

If not, weigh quitting against the alternative.

-ME