January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jun 27 18:10

Re: [vox] Dealing with your boss

On Wednesday 26 June 2002 07:43 pm, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> A non-tech question but important for working techies...
>
> How do you guys deal with your bosses?  How do you deal with conflicts
> that arise from your differences (you being a techie and they being not,
> or maybe they *thinking* they are but they being not?)  Especially since
> not all technies are very good with words, explaining oneself can be very
> difficult [...]

That's really an open-ended question!  And what to do depends
on many things.  But just very generally, you might start with
something like "I'm thinking there may be a better way; are you
open to the possibility of changing this?"

If the answer is no, case closed.  If yes, then ask questions
until you truly understand the boss's reasoning and point of view.
Then make an appointment to come back later with a presentation,
after you've had a chance to mull things over.

Hope this helps.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/