2002 Jun 26 00:48

[vox] Q? on 1U rack mountable servers...

[vox] Q? on 1U rack mountable servers...

Hello,

I like Dell and have been looking over their 1U rack mounted servers with
the thought of buying rack space at a local ISP.

Here is what I am looking to get, suggestions welcome:

Motherboard must accept up to 2GB or RAM though the RAM need not be
exceptionally fast. (1GB of RAM as a max would be okay too, but not as
desireable) The Board need only start with 256MB of RAM but it should have
other free slots.

Internal drive bus can be IDE and does not need to be fast for bus access,
but the MD BIOS/CMOS should support 120+GB drives even if it comes with a
smaller drive.

Processor speed is not important - Pentium class 266MHz or faster

New is not a requirement, but "stable" and "reliable" hardware is a
requirement.

I probably wont be in the market for another 2 or 3 months, but am
researching options now. I may just end up going with a new, low end
system from dell (say their cheapest 350 series).

I have looked at "Sun Cobalt" but my first taste of them and their product
that violated GPL did not sit well with me along with their sales of a
box that was rather closed to "real sysadmin work" that I enjoy.

I saw some older VA Linux 1U servers on ebay...

This is for a hobby - not a mission critical internet business.

Anyone have suggestions on things to avoid, look for?

TIA!

-ME