2002 Jun 25 07:59

Re: apt-like package management on rpm based systems Was: [vox] boy, was

Re: apt-like package management on rpm based systems Was: [vox] boy, was that fast!

Quoting Ryan (ryan@mother.com):

> Mandrake's apt workalike, urpm (does dependency resolution, package databases
> for removable, local, and net, etc), acutaly works pretty well.

It does, but....

Please pardon my indulging a hobbyhorse, here.  Not intending to detract
from what you said which is perfectly true and useful.

The magic isn't -- and never was -- in the apt tool itself, but rather in
Debian's enforcement of distribution/packaging policy.  Nathan Myers did
as good a job of explaining this as anyone:
http://www.advogato.org/article/169.html

Claudio Matsuoka and Alfredo Kojima at Conectiva confirm this in
describing the obstacles they found in implementing the apt system on
their Brazilian distribution after porting the utility to RPM:

http://www.advogato.org/person/claudio/diary.html?start=111
http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/182/

Linux-Mandrake, Red Hat, SuSE, TurboLinux, and a whole bunch of others
_cannot_ be as incrementally maintainable as Debian (and Libranet) is.
It's not the fact that they use RPM:  RPM is a perfectly fine package
format.  It's pretty much all in the policy.

Conectiva comes close, because they went through the hard work of
implementing such a policy.