2002 Jun 18 17:05

Re: [vox] why i hate phantom menace

Quoting R. Douglas Barbieri (doug@dooglio.net):

> In all fairness, though, going from Empire to Jedi was a *huge* let down
> for me. Empire is such a tight, cool major motion picture, where Jedi is
> filmed much more like a stage play. Plus I thought the Ewoks and the
> Muppets really sucked.

There's one excellent reason why Empire completely failed to suck.  Her
name was Leigh Brackett, and Empire was just one final bit of frosting
on the cake of her amazing, very long career as a science fiction author
going all the way back to the Golden Age of SF.

She was born in L.A. in 1915, died in 1978.  She knew everyone and did
everything, even back when women weren't accepted in the field.  She
was successful in Edgar Rice Burroughs-style adventure stories,
westerns, hard-boiled detective, suspense, and mystery stories.  After
Howard Hawks started tapping her to adapt Raymond Chandler for
Hollywood, she concentrated mostly on screenplay work starting in 1955.

If you've seen The Big Sleep, Rio Bravo, El Dorado, The Long Goodbye, or
Hatari!, you've heard Brackett dialogue and character work -- not to
mention The Empire Strikes Back.  I don't know if any of her many novels
are back in print, but they're worth looking for.

--
Cheers,   The difference between common sense and paranoia is that common sense
Rick Moen     is thinking everyone is out to get you.  That's normal; they are.