2002 Jun 19 09:34

Re: [vox] why i hate phantom menace

Pfah.  Kids these days.

When "Episode IV" first came out, it wasn't even titled "Episode IV".  When the story started rolling, all it said was "STAR WARS".  It didn't say nothin' 'bout no newfangled "new hope".  If you can find a *really old* copy of the tape, you can see it for yourself.

It was only after "Empire Strikes Back" was released as "Episode V" and Lucas had made his intention to film *nine* movies known that the words "Episode IV: A New Hope" were added to the scrolling narrative at the beginning of "Star Wars"... which was called just plain ol' "Star Wars".

Richard (now feeling kinda old)

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 02:51:46PM -0700, nbs wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 02:44:38PM -0700, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:
> >
> > PPS: I just dig on Lucas' universe. Even when there are so many other
> > problems with how the movies were made, his story line and universe
> > concepts are still very compelling. It's *lots* of fun to see how Anakin
> > become Darth Vader, and after seeing the setup, fun to go back to the
> > original films--you catch a lot more now that you know the history. One of
> > the reasons I like Babylon 5 so much--the universe is well thought out and
> > you get to jump around in the timeline and see how it unfolds.
>
> Except the fact that the first movie says "Episode IV" at the beginning,
> it really could just stand on its own as a single movie, making the
> following two look more like afterthoughts.  "Oooh - how can we add more
> backstory to this?  I know!  Make Vader his father!"  :)
>

> -bill!
> Pod scene was so boring, I left the theatre to use the restroom ;)

Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford

MSN:  underpope@hotmail.com

vi vi vi - the editor of the beast