2002 Jun 18 15:36

Re: [vox] why i hate phantom menace

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, nbs wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 02:44:38PM -0700, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:

[snip]

> Except the fact that the first movie says "Episode IV" at the beginning,
> it really could just stand on its own as a single movie, making the
> following two look more like afterthoughts.  "Oooh - how can we add more
> backstory to this?  I know!  Make Vader his father!"  :)

It's funny but he originally indended Darth Vader as just sort of a
throw-away character. The fans loved him so much that he expanded his role
out and went nuts with his character.

However, he does have the basic universe mapped out. The fall of the
empire, the concept of the rebellion, and the Force. Sort of like
JMS and Babylon 5 (except JMS has finer grain detail 1000 years on each
side of the show, whereas Lucas is looser).

> -bill!
> Pod scene was so boring, I left the theatre to use the restroom ;)

R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people
   discipline themselves."

-- Thomas Jefferson