2002 Jun 18 15:46

Re: [vox] why i hate phantom menace

begin joseph e arruda <zeruch@dibona.com>

> On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > cool.  give me a specific example of a republic where the highest
> > elected official can be ousted on the whim of a senate, oh most wise
> > one....
>
> For starters? Israel.  50% + 1 no-con vote in the Knesset can lead to the
> dissolution of the executive and new elections.
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

half credit.  :)

like the president of the USA, the president of israel can't be voted
out of power on the whim of the k'nesset.  he needs to be convicted
of a felony, which makes him inelligible to serve his post.

you're thinking of the prime minister.  the president is the head of
state.

the prime minister is the head of the government.   so if the PM gets
voted out, the country still runs smoothly.  things still get done.
there's still law and order, even when the government can't agree on who
should be the prime minister.

pete