2002 Jun 14 14:42

Re: [vox] cat and >> - how does it know?

Re: [vox] cat and >> - how does it know?

> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

[...]

> > ps- i was under the impression that this sort of thing killed the temp
> > file.  i'm surprised the check is made.

Why surprised?

> overwrites STDOUT.
>> appends to STDOUT.

If STDIN == STDOUT, every time the process reads writes to STDOUT, it
creates more work for itself on STDIN. Seems like a useful check to avoid
inadvertent filling of filesystems.

Did I misunderstand your question?

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing