2002 Jun 14 16:48

Re: [vox] donation needed: windows

Ryan wrote:

Define computer, in terms of an individual machine. Unless it's defined in
the EULA (I'm sure it isn't), there shouldn't be a problem as long as I also
donate one of the OEM components. I still have the original power splitters
that came with the box, I'll donate one and see that it's installed in the
LUGOD demo box.

Ok, MS usually defines the licence on a per processor basis for Windows NT workstation (generally licenced for 1 to 4 processors) and server (depends on version); Windows 2000 (2000 pro is generally 1-2 cpu's) all versions (I am unsure on server versions I think 1-8 cpu's), and Windows XP Pro (1-2 cpu's).  Windows 95,98,ME and XP home do not take advantage of more than one processor.

Now I think Ryan has a point about donating the OEM licence with a piece of the original hardware.  I believe this is how some vendors are getting away with selling it with a mouse.

Mark K. Kim wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Ryan wrote:
>

>>Define computer, in terms of an individual machine.
>>

>Hmm... interesting.  If you have a dual-processor machine, do you need two
>Windows licenses for that machine?  What if you have a dual-processor
>machine with two power supplies?  What if you have a dual-processor
>machine with two power supplies and two hard drives?  What if you have a
>dual-processor machine with two power supplies and two hard drives and two
>graphics cards?  What if you have...
>
>I just got an idea!  I'll put two computers in one box, join the
>motherboard, internally networked to use the same copy of Windows on one
>hard drive (the whole thing internally cached in RAM, of course).  Then I
>only need one Windows license, right? :P
>
>-Mark

I do not think that would count.

Stephen