2002 Jun 13 16:04

Re: [vox] donation needed: windows

On Thursday 13 June 2002 08:47 am, Mytho-X wrote:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >lugod needs a copy of windows 98 donated so we can demo vmware.
> >
> >it needs to be above board and legal, se we need the disk and the
> >license thing.
>
> So to be legal in Microsoft's eyes is sometimes a pain. This is what
> you need to prove legality:  Certificate of Authenticity (COA) it is the
> seal on the manual or sticker that is put on the side of the computer.

The COA was never on my computer, it was stuck on the manual. I do still have
the booklet, COA and CD.

>  End user licence aggreement (EULA) usually contained on/in the booklet
> that comes with the software.  To have the installation media as well is
> good and it would also be helpful to have the invoice or receipt of
> purchase.
> Microsoft does *NOT* allow you to actually transfer a licence from one
> computer to another.  So OEM copies of the software will not make us
> legal (unless VA actually ever sold windows along with the box).

Define computer, in terms of an individual machine. Unless it's defined in
the EULA (I'm sure it isn't), there shouldn't be a problem as long as I also
donate one of the OEM components. I still have the original power splitters
that came with the box, I'll donate one and see that it's installed in the
LUGOD demo box.