2002 Jun 13 14:44

Re: [vox] donation needed: windows

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

>lugod needs a copy of windows 98 donated so we can demo vmware.
>
>it needs to be above board and legal, se we need the disk and the
>license thing.

So to be legal in Microsoft's eyes is sometimes a pain.  This is what
you need to prove legality:  Certificate of Authenticity (COA) it is the
seal on the manual or sticker that is put on the side of the computer.
 End user licence aggreement (EULA) usually contained on/in the booklet
that comes with the software.  To have the installation media as well is
good and it would also be helpful to have the invoice or receipt of
purchase.

Microsoft does *NOT* allow you to actually transfer a licence from one
computer to another.  So OEM copies of the software will not make us
legal (unless VA actually ever sold windows along with the box).

Stephen (someone who has gone through the MS audit experience and would
of rather installed linux)