2002 Jun 11 22:38

Re: [vox] On the security of RedHat....

Quoting Richard Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com):

> I'm interested in trying other distributions, especially Debian.

I have a lot of disorganised notes about Debian based on long
experience.  They're at http://linuxmafia.com/debian/tips, and
it's antique stuff on top, more recent stuff accreted at the bottom
over time.

Some pointers:

o  Unlearn what you might have learned elsewhere about installation:
   You do _not_ want to install the "kitchen sink".  The Debian branch
   I recommend has over 8000 packages in it.  Don't even think of
   trying.

o  Don't install Debian 2.2 (aka "potato") on grounds of it being the
   "stable" branch:  Aim to be running the "testing" branch, which at
   the moment is Debian 3.0 (aka "woody").  Trust me.

o  For the most part, ignore the notions of "releases", as they are
   mostly obsolete.  For all practical purposes, there are three
   Debian branches -- stable, testing, and unstable -- which are
   "released" continually, as they improve incrementally, many times
   each day.

o  CD-ROM sets are a convenient place to start, and are also the only
   place where "release" names/numbers like 2.2/3.0/potato/woody are
   significant (in being places to start).  However, they do _not_
   define what's in Debian.  Debian stable, testing, and unstable
   are defined by the Debian mirror sites' package collections, which
   as alluded to earlier change incrementally every day.

o  Post-installation, you will at intervals re-syncronise your chosen
   set of installed packages to the current versions in your branch
   of choice (stable, testing, or unstable) using the "apt-get" utility.

o  The reason the above-described means of system maintenance works so
   well in Debian, while it works only spottily in other distributions,
   is that Debian's specifically designed to be maintained that way
   (per enforcement of the Package Policy document).

o  If you try the 3.0/woody installer and for any reason find it too
   unfriendly, start out by installing Libranet, instead.  It's highly
   Debian 3.0/woody-compatible, and very desktop-user friendly.  And
   you can use apt-get to re-sync it to 3.0/woody after installation,
   if you like.

--
Cheers,   The difference between common sense and paranoia is that common sense
Rick Moen     is thinking everyone is out to get you.  That's normal; they are.