2002 Jun 10 13:04

Re: [vox] StarOffice 6 sighting

Quoting George Thomas Finch (finchgeo@pilot.msu.edu):

> I keep wondering why they took out the database support in Openoffice,
> that was in Starffice 5.2

Because they didn't own it.  Adabas D was licensed for Star Office
from its owner (Software AG).  Same problem with some of the fonts,
the thesaurus, and the StarOffice version of the spelling dictionaries.

There's also the problem of Apple's three patents on TrueType
byte-hinting, which means that OpenOffice ships with libvcl (a
TrueType library) statically linked and compiled to disable
byte-hinting:  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/openoffice-fonts

--
Cheers,   The difference between common sense and paranoia is that common sense
Rick Moen     is thinking everyone is out to get you.  That's normal; they are.