2002 Jun 10 11:59

Re: [vox] old news?

After looking at the two paragraphs below, which I feel couldn't have been
better stated, I can't help but think that she implied some sarcasm in her
final statment (the one suggesting Microsoft is a proper company).

I like this article (right up to the end).  I can't figure out where
she's going, but she doesn't seem on the payroll to me.

Dave

The people who make the software do so for the sheer joy of it, with no
financial reward. These non-capitalists have scared the willies out of
Microsoft, which sees its Windows monopoly threatened by a competitor that
can undercut its prices to the max.

People liked Linux for its underdog and underground status. Coming from
nowhere to challenge Microsoft's dominance, the operating system seemed to
embody both the anarchic spirit of the internet and blow a raspberry to
globalisation by sidelining capitalism in favour of a new cooperative
movement.