2002 Jun 07 18:49

Re: [vox] Member Page search engine update

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, nbs wrote:

> In a few cases, it's not symettric.
> For example, "daniel" and "danielle" both matche "dan" and "danny,"
> but they don't match each other.  (One is masculine, the other is feminine.)

For some foreigners, they may search for "daniel" when they mean to search
for "danielle".  The difference between the two names, when spoken, are
only accents, and accents are not always easy for foreigners to learn.

Oh, and I'm speaking from a "phurst-hend" experience.

> Also note: I often used "least common denominator" names to keep things
> from getting to bloated.  It's still doing a substring match, so entering
> "James" which becomes "Jim" is good enough to find someone named "Jimmy."
>
> (Although I suppose I should add "Jimmy" in there, to match "James" and "Jim."
> Hmmm...)

Wouldn't looking for "James" also match "Jimmy" since "James" matches
"Jim" and "Jim" is a part of "Jimmy"?  Otherwise you should also include
"Will" in the database!  (Actually, I just realized you should include
"Will" whatever the case.)

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim