2002 Jun 05 17:24

Re: [vox] Gopher: New use for old software.

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 02:09:36PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> I guess it depends on what "portable" means.  Is a language portable if
> programs *can* be made portable, or if it *forces* programs to be
> portable?

If the former, then even BASIC is portable :)

  PRINT "HELLO"

To hell with the fact that this on a Commodore won't work on an Atari:

  10 INPUT A$
  20 PRINT "HELLO ";A$
  30 GOTO 10

You need:

  5 DIM A$(40)
  10 INPUT A$
  20 PRINT "HELLO ";A$
  30 GOTO 10

And that this on an Atari won't work on a Commodore:

  10 LET CATS=10
  20 LET CARS=2
  30 PRINT "There are ";CATS;" cats and ";CARS;" cars."

(On a C=64, both variables are the same:  "CA"
On an Atari, they're distinct variables, "CATS" and "CARS", like you'd expect)

This isn't even getting into the differences, say, between doing graphics
primitives in Apple BASIC, Atari BASIC and Microsoft QBASIC.

:)

But - that first 'program' at the top is portable! ;)