2002 Jun 05 15:01

[vox] Re: [vox-tech] Which cipher to use?

[vox] Re: [vox-tech] Which cipher to use?

begin Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org>
> On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Micah Cowan wrote:
>
> > Bill Broadley writes:
> >  > Xor is 100% secure if your key is as long as your data, otherwise known
> >  > as the otp = one time pad.  If it's less, it is indeed rather easy to break.
> >
> > This is really picky of course, but the other criteria for "secure use
> > of Xor", in addition to having a key at least as long as your data,
> > is:
> >
> >   1. That it be a random sequence - *truly* random.  This rules out
> >      using "passphrases" and the like.  *All* passphrases or passwords
> >      are extremely insecure for Xor, regardless of length.
> >
> >   2. That it be used only one time, and then discarded - never to be
> >      used again.
> >
> > The combination of those three requirements (counting yours), is what
> > makes something a one-time pad, or "Vernam Cipher".  (I know you know
> > this stuff, Bill - but I'm pointing it out for any who don't).
> ==8<--

man, every time you write ==8<-- it reminds me of "beaker" from the
muppets.   well, maybe beaker laying sideways...

anyone remember beaker?  he always got blown up by the asian doctor with
no hair...  :-)

pete