2002 Jun 05 18:14

Re: [vox] Gopher: New use for old software.

Re: [vox] Gopher: New use for old software.

It's a bit like Microsoft Java, as supported by Visual J++.
You can use it to write portable Java, but the MS
documentation doesn't help you avoid the MS-specific
extensions.

Basically MS has defined a portable API, but has also
extended it so that it can be used to write non-portable
apps, and you can bet they will do everything they can to
make sure that happens.

That way they get the standards-promoting "points" yet still
enjoy locking users into their platform.  It's exactly what
Sun wouldn't let them do with Java -- but this time they
have the legal right to do it.

Re DLLs -- in the Linux case it would be .so files.  Using
either introduces non-portability.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/