2002 Jun 05 12:39

Re: [vox] Gopher: New use for old software.

Re: [vox] Gopher: New use for old software.

speaking of which, i have a question about last night's talk.

is .NET code portable or not?

i'm asking because of a strange thing he mentioned (paraphrase):

     .NET code doesn't hide the details of the platoform.  it lets
     differences of different the platform percolate through.

what exactly does this mean?   it _sounds_ like .NET code is NOT
platform independent.   a "detail" could be something like reading or
writing an entry in the register to say "i'm installed".  or perhaps
opening C:\WINDOWS\APPLICATION.INI rather than /etc/application.conf.

if a person needs to make code platform agnostic by *coding* techniques
rather than compilation/preprocessor techniques, i don't consider that
platform agnostic.

the speaker *said* .NET was platform agnostic.  yet what he was *saying*
made it sound like it't not.   anyone have a take on this?

i was also confused by:

     .NET uses .dll files to link some code, but these would have
     meaning on a linux platform too.

how is this possible?   other than the obvious, of course.   i don't
think the wine project will declare itself "done" anytime within the
next 8 years.

i know the theory of redirectors from playing around with dosemu source,
but you need something to redirect to.  how can some random
tom-dick-harry.dll have meaning on a linux system without have a
call-by-call compatibility layer or redirector?

pete (getting more confused the more i think about last night's talk)

begin Stephen M. Helms <Mytho_X@pacbell.net>