2002 Jun 02 17:13

Re: [vox] Reccomended CD-RW Brands?

I got a TDK 24/10/40.  Got it for the price per single speed.  I was going
to get a HP one (18X, I think)  but the sales person told me they had just
received a shipment of 24X TDK drives, $20 more than the HP one.  I was a
bit weary but it's working great so far.  I don't burn many CDs (a few
custom audio CDs and some Linux distributions) so who knows what'll happen
in a few years.  But it's great so far.

I was very impressed with all the bells and whistles that came with the
drive.  For the cost, I figured it'd be just the drive, some screws, a
burner software, and maybe a manual if not a single sheet installation
instructions.  It actually came with two sample CDRs (TDK brand), one CDRW
(TDK brand), a CD marker (TDK brand), manuals (from TDK), CD-ROM with
installation instruction movies and software (TDK brand CD-ROM), and a
installation instruction VHS tape (on a TDK tape).  Free advertisements
for TDK, I suppose.  I never saw the tape, but I can see how it can be
useful for a non-techie.  Installation instructions on the CD-ROM was also
a nice touch.

But you shouldn't buy something for the side goodies.  But it was fun to
find all those unexpected things :)

-Mark

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Ryan wrote:

> What brands of IDE CD-RW drives have you guys had good luck with? I'm looking
> for a new one to replace the craptastic CREATIVE drive I've got that only
> seems to work blue CD-Rs with any regularity.

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.