2002 May 29 17:15

Re: [vox] help for a school

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting John McDonnell (vox_spam@johnmc.org):
>
> > if we're talking about Macs using NFS, it's not pretty and it's not going
> > to be easy (or cheap) to find the necessary software... believe me, I
> > tried...
>
> Given the smilie, I'm assuming Mark's suggestion was in jest.  (NFS is
> not generally a reasonable option for MacOS v. < 10 clients.

Yes, I was just kidding. :)  :)  :)  :)

> The temptation is to just leap in with a flying squadron of expertise to
> "help".  But I'd urge sitting down and talking about such things as
> what's the goal, what is the level of commitment, who's going to
> maintain the stuff when you're done, etc.
>
> And:
>
> Enthusiasm and energy are great, but I hate to see them wasted.

I certainly agree.  If we (or rather, the volunteers) have the time, we
can certainly offer to make some of the PCs dual-boot in case some
students want to learn Linux.  Just let them know they got nothing to lose
(as long as installation doesn't hose Windows... <g>)  With enough
students enthusiasm, they may ask us to make more systems dual-boot, and,
may I dare suggest, make some systems dedicated Linux-only in some
distance future?

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim